What is it?
PGA Jr. League is a game-changing opportunity for boys and girls to be introduced to the “competitive” side golf. This unique approach highlights team play versus individual competition and serves as a final transition for youth golfers who have participated in our other junior golf programs offered. The program brings family and friends together around fun, team golf experiences and focuses on fun, recreation, good health and sportsmanship.
PGA Jr. League works with PGA Sections and local youth organizations across the country to offer an alternative, social, competitive golf format.
FORMAT OF "MATCH PLAY COMPETITIONS"
Who can join?
PGA Jr. League is open to any child (see general expectations of skill level below), 13 years of age and under (as of July 31). The recommended minimum age is 9, however a Coach may permit younger players to participate, if they feel they have the ability to participate accordingly with no issues to program. Currently, Finkbine is taking registered juniors ages 11 & over.
Junior golfers wishing to sign up for PGA Junior League SHOULD HAVE THE ABILITY TO:
- Play 9-holes with little to no assistance from an adult
- Advance the ball with each swing (little to no "whiffs")
- Knowledge and awareness of keeping appropriate pace of play while on golf course
- Understanding of general on-course etiquette
- i.e. Where to put bag, whose turn it is to hit, where to stand, keeping quiet when others are hitting, etc.
- Be able to attend weekly practice and have availability on weekends for competitions in June and July
PGA Jr. League is open to both boys and girls! Due to the program's nurturing scramble format, all teammates can work together and contribute to winning their game, regardless of gender. Boys and girls of similar ability play and compete together in any match pairing (boy-and-girl, girl-and-girl, boy-and-boy). There are no separate divisions or tee boxes and yardages to play from.
Golf is a game for all. The PGA of America and PGA Professionals are committed to providing an inclusive environment for all individuals who are interested in playing the game of golf.
Who runs it?
Sarah Overton, former Iowa Women’s Collegiate Golfer and Finkbine Assistant Golf Professional, will Captain the Finkbine Team (2nd season coaching Junior League).
*Jeff Moore, Director of Golf, is the PGA Ambassador for the Finkbine Team and Dain Coppock, Head Golf Professional, also will assist*
Season will run from May 28th to early-August
Schedule of Practices & Competitions
The Finkbine Team will practice at Finkbine Golf Course and compete against other local PGA Jr League teams from IC/Coralville/Vinton/Cedar Rapids area.
Practices (2023 Schedule):
- Prior to Thursday, June 8th - Sundays from 4:00 to 5:15 PM
- Starting Thursday, June 8th – 10:00 to 11:30 AM
- Competitions will be scheduled on specific weekends beginning in early-June through July
- Competitions are scheduled between clubs based on team and course availability and will be determined following start of season to ensure availability of all Junior League Golfers
Cost & what's included?
The registration fee per golfer in 2023 for Finkbine Golf Course is $349. Included with the registration fee is:
- Two (2) team jerseys (one orange & one blue - for home & away matches)
- PGA Junior League Hat
- PGA Junior League Drawstring bag
- PGA Junior League Participant "Bag Tag"
- Finkbine Gift (Ball Mark Poker Chip)
- Green fees for each competition (home and away)
- Use of Driving Range & Golf Course at each practice
- Golf lessons/instructions at each practice
- Discounted golf fees & daily range balls at Finkbine Golf Course during season
- $35 (includes cart) after 2pm for Junior League Player & Family (everyday)
- Junior League Player plays for FREE after 5pm (everyday)
- Free small basket of range balls for Junior League Player (limit 1 per day)
- END OF YEAR GOLF & PIZZA PARTY!
Love what you have read so far & interested in
signing a Junior Golfer up for the 2023 season?
To start the registration process for Finkbine's 2023 PGA Junior League team, click the box above and email Sarah Overton with interest. She will follow up shortly with information on how to continue via PGA Junior League website with access code provided. For more information on the PGA Junior League program from the national level, visit https://www.pgajrleague.com/.