- PGA Junior League Golf is recreational and developmental in nature. The goal is to create and encourage a fun environment for players of all abilities!
- All experience levels can participate in the PGA Junior League. A PGA Junior League Golf match is played in a scramble/best shot format.
- PGA Assistant Professional Richard Delfs runs the league and instruction at Finkbine. We had a dozen juniors play in our first year in 2015.
- Age groups play in ages 13 and under boys and girls; or age group 16 and under.
- Practice and competition will mainly be on Sunday late afternoons from early June through August at Finkbine. Competition could run into September if the team wins at local, state and regional levels.
- Cost is $150 for instruction, team shirts, supplies and use of the golf course and range. Other expenses would be for travel to Cedar Rapids and/or other local areas of Eastern Iowa for competition. Sign up at www.pgajlg.com.
- The season will have a four-team league with courses in Iowa City and Cedar Rapids.
- Let friends know they can join the league so they can practice and play together.
- You have read all the basics. The following page give more detail about how competition works. The goal for the PGA Junior League is for golfers to have FUN and play together in a team format. Yes, we keep score and compete, but we want to have FUN.
FORMAT OF COMPETITION
PGA Junior League Golf is recreational and developmental in nature. The goal is to create and encourage a fun environment for players of all abilities!
- In PGA Junior League Golf’s signature 2-player scramble, you are encouraged to allow players to occasionally try to reach a par-4 green on a drive, especially once a pairing’s partner is safely in the fairway.
- You are not required to adhere to the traditional par-36 nine hole set-up. If you find that all par-4′s and par-3′s make for a faster, friendlier set-up - go for it!
Pace of Play
PGA Junior League Golf players are young and often inexperienced. Walking nine holes and carrying a bag can also be tiresome. Use the below tips to assist pace-of-play:
- A PGA Junior League Golf match is recreational match-play in a scramble format and should never take more than 2.5 hours
- Minimal time should be spent searching for lost balls
- Encourage conceding short putts instead of continuing play
- Minimal time should be spent deciding which shot to select
- A competition between two teams in PGA Junior League Golf is referred to a a “game”.
- A game consists of two teams, each fielding at least 8 players broken into four groups of 2, playing a 2-person match play, scramble-format vs.a similar pairing from the opposing team. These 2- player vs. 2- player scramble pairings are called “matches”.
Each match is 9-holes in length, broken into three 3-hole segments called “flags”. There are three flags per match. Flags are the key scoring component of your games. Each flag is worth one point. Each match is played for three flags/points.
You will assign 2 starting players to each match, and will determine where your remaining players will be assigned as substitutes. PGA Junior League Golf has traditionally been successful at creating and retaining youth golfers because it pairs lesser skilled players with more experienced players, thus creating a recreational and developmental atmosphere for youth to learn and love the game.